Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Some of my favorite Roses

I have grown Roses for many many years, some do wonderful, others have Powdery Mildew, Black Spot, Rust, Downey Mildew and Canker are the major players. As well as Japanese Beetles and Aphids, I have tried all kinds of treatments: sprays, powders, removal of the infected leaves. This year I am trying some tonics that I read about in Jerry Baker's book Terrific Tonics, and we will see how that goes. Plus now we are only buying Disease Resistant Roses, I am leaning toward Shrub Roses.





7 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Some of my favorites are in there too! I have found that there are so many disease resistant roses to choose from that it is not worth keeping problem ones. Just make sure that you remove and throw away diseased rose leaves as soon as you spot them and you will soon have control over the problems of mildew and black spot. Then just learn to embrace imperfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some beauties in your garden.I have saw those books of Jerry Bakers and wondered if his homemade treatments works. You will have to keep us informed on how they work.
    Lona

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I have never had much luck with roses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a gorgeous selection of roses in your garden. Let's hope the tonic works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a variety you have! Lovely photos of these beauties. My fave is definitely the first two, but also like the lavendar and yellow roses. OK...I like them all!! I had roses before living in Florida and dusting was a weekly ritual. I've tried some of Jerry Baker's tonics before with great success. Good luck, and keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost missed this post! I love my roses too and think I recognise a few that I have in my garden. Double Delight is up there in my favourites. I think I am very lucky with my climate as I can grow most roses without being troubled by diseases (aphids on the other hand, are a different story!). I hope your new selections do well and reward you with lots of lovely blooms!

    ReplyDelete